With the “Databases” navigation node selected, click on the “Add” button to add a database.
This will open a dialog to enter database connection parameters.
Database configuration options are:
- The name of the database as it will appear elsewhere in the application.
- Connection String
- The connection string can either be a DSN (Data Source Name) configured for the system in the form “DSN=DataSourceName” or any other valid connection string for the target database. Use the Windows system’s ODBC Data Source Administrator tool to configure ODBC data sources. Note that it is the ODBC Connector background service that needs access to the database and the data source should therefore be a System data source. Alternatively, configure the Rensen ODBC Connector Service to run as a user with sufficient rights.
- Create an ‘Auto’ topic
- ‘Auto’ topics are covered in the next section.
- Using integrated security
- With this setting no further database login information is required or provided when the ODBC Connector service attempts to connect to the database. Note that, by default, the ODBC Connector service runs under the local system account and the database must either be configured to grant access to NT_AUTHORITY/SYSTEM or the ODBC Connector service needs to be configured to run as a user with sufficient access rights.
- Prompt for credentials
- In this case the application will prompt the user for credentials when a task is started that needs to connect to the database.
- Save credentials for future use.
- You can allow the ODBC Connector to store credentials for future use. Credentials are stored in encrypted form and are retreived whenever a task requires a connection to the database.
Use the “Test Connection” button to verify that a connection can be made before clicking “Add” to add the database.
You can change settings later in the database settings panel that is shown when you select the database in the navigation panel.
If a database is no longer needed then click on “Databases” in the main navigation panel and select the database in the content panel; click on the “Remove” button to remove the database.
Note that all topics configured for the database will be also be removed. This affects all tasks using these topics.